Saturday, March 4, 2017

Editorial - The Unexpected Feelings


I try and not let many things affect me, but for some reason this one thing has and in ways I’m not sure I understand yet. I listen to a particular podcast that I enjoy. It’s two people who talk about serious things but also try to make you laugh. One of those podcasters passed away on Saturday, February 25th. The announcement of his death came on Sunday. When I read it, I couldn’t believe it.  It couldn’t be true; he’s so young and leaves behind an adult child and a small child.

He always said he would die young, but I never thought for a moment that it would happen. He suffered many things in his life and had many demons. He never hid the fact he had demons or what he had been through. He was very honest and up front about his life and how he had made mistakes.

So when it finally sank in that he really was gone, I sat down and cried. I can’t explain why but I have been profoundly affected by his sudden death. I’m still crying because I listened to his co-hosts podcast tribute to him on February 27th. That tribute prompted me to write this.

I didn’t know him personally, but he was a part of my life three times a week. Those three times a week I sat down and listened to what they had to say and they could make me laugh, make me cry and make me think. Now one of them is gone and I just feel sort of lost.

We never know how something is going to affect us, and I’m still not sure how to process this yet. I will go back and listen to their old podcasts and maybe that will help me figure this out. I will say this, pay attention to those you know and if they seem lost or out of sorts, talk to them. Show them that you care.

Maybe that’s the message I need to send out today. Reach out and lend a hand. Be a friend, be a sounding board, be whatever it takes to help someone, but be there. Don’t let those deep dark demons get a hold of anyone and lead them down a path they may not be able to come back from.

I hope that he has found some peace. I know this world will not be the same without his voice or his writings. I pray for his family and his friends because they are going through a very difficult time. I will try and find comfort in re-reading his writings and listening to his voice.

If I could ask just one thing of all of you, be kind to each other, because in the end, we only have each other.

Safe travels to a man I did not know personally, but has affected me in a very personal way.

DeeCee Salter

You can follow me on Twitter @thecryptoblast
or on Facebook here.


No comments:

Post a Comment