Saturday, July 2, 2016

Editorial - Is There A Bigfoot Community?


Bigfoot community personality, Rictor Riolo, posed an interesting thought this week. Is there a Bigfoot Community? So I took that term to the interstate highway to see what I could find. I found a 501c3 group called Bigfoot Community Events. They have a picture of Bigfoot, but what they do has nothing to do with Bigfoot. So, that isn’t a Bigfoot Community. Then there are the various web pages that say they are a Bigfoot Community, but calling your page that doesn’t make it so. I even asked the Google machine to define Bigfoot Community and you know what I got? A big fat nothing, zero, nada. So next, I asked the ever wise Google machine to define community. Here’s what I got back:

  • A group of people living in the same place or having a particular characteristic in common. 
  • A feeling of fellowship with others, as a result of sharing common attitudes, interests, and goals.
So we can rule out the first definition, everyone who claims a Bigfoot Community are not all living in the same place and I’m not really sure they all have any characteristics is common. We all don’t have the same characteristics.

The second definition might be a little closer. Everyone seems to share a common interest, but I don’t think the attitudes and goals are the same. Attitudes and goals vary from group to group. It seems to me that you’re trying to squeeze a round peg into a square hole. There is no one size fits all solution to this dilemma of being called a Bigfoot Community.

If you were a Bigfoot Community, I would think that everyone would treat each other with respect and acknowledge that people have different ideas. Now, I’m talking about reasonable ideas, not the whole cloaking or portals or even woo. I’ve talked about cloaking, portals and woo in previous editorials, so I’m not going to expand any further.

Rictor does not believe there is a Bigfoot Community and I can understand why. I think it’s more like a Bigfoot clique. It’s like being in high school again with all the different cliques. With Bigfoot you have those that think every picture they take shows a Bigfoot structure or a Bigfoot. Then you have the cliques who think that Bigfoot can mind speak and they move in and out of portals. Then the clique that thinks Bigfoot can cloak. Oh and don’t let me forget the woo crowd.

Those that think alike fall in together. That’s what makes it a clique and not a community. It’s just like high school, the cool kids, the nerds, the jocks and those who just don’t fit anywhere. How sad is that?

DeeCee Salter

You can follow me on Twitter @thecryptoblast
or on Facebook here.


1 comment:

  1. Yeah, but that's the internet for ya. When I was younger, I was really into comic books, liking more cerebral characters like the Martian Manhunter. I'd be on the DC Comics message boards, having a conversation about the character, and invariably it would be interupted by some fanboy posting "Spawn Rules!" And try as we might, we couldn't proceed with our conversation without more idiot postings of this type. These internet manners seem to apply to everything on the internet, including Bigfoot. Many is the time I've been conversing with someone comparing what they saw with what I saw, and some Woo person inserts themselves, wanting to know bs like "what did BF mind speak to me?" I'm talking meat and potatoes and they're talking fairy tales. And there's no getting rid of them, because as soon as you inform them that you're not discussing that, they look at it as an opportunity to convert the unbeliever to their little fairy tale ethos. Now' in real life I'm a Chicago bad ass, a former bouncer at one of the Spilatro brothers' strip joints. To discourage conversations I don't want to participate in, all I have to do is growl. But on the net, I have to endure these people until I can't stomach it anymore, go off on them, and then I'm the ass.So, no, there isn't a Bigfoot Community because there is no unified view on what the animal is.

    ReplyDelete