Monday, July 11, 2016

Editorial - My Thoughts on Paranormal Social Media


I have been chatting with a lot of you out there in the world of social media and I’ve come to realize something. It was there all along, but I didn’t quite see it.

So much is out there with the paranormal and what people experience. What you can’t do is ‘prove’ that it’s true. I’ve had my own personal experience with the paranormal. If I told you about any of them you might think I was a little daft. I don’t share my personal stories unless someone asks me to. It’s not that I don’t want to, but I’ve seen what happens when you do. Personally, I don’t feel like defending my experiences.

Why would that be? It’s because you did not experience it yourself and no matter how much I tell you that it’s true, you aren’t going to believe my story because it didn’t happen to you.

The same could be said for Bigfoot and UFO’s. Unless you’ve experienced it yourself, most people aren’t willing to believe your story. That doesn’t mean it didn’t happen to you. I read a lot of the stories out there and I come to my own conclusions.

I applaud those who do share their experiences, they are excited and want to share with the world what they have seen and been through. Then they get back a lot of feedback that they didn’t expect and then go into defensive mode.

If the story seems plausible, put yourself in then person’s shoes. How would you feel if you shared something and then were immediately attacked for it? You wouldn’t like it and you would probably come to regret that you even shared something so deeply personal.

Now there are people out there who just make things up and put it out there. You really have to use your mind and try and figure out if this is someone trying to pull the wool over your eyes or not. There are a lot of those types out there, but not everyone is trying to get one over on you.

I think a lot more could be accomplished if instead of calling everyone a liar is to question them a little more and see what they say. Here comes the hard part, because this is social media and you are putting it in writing the receiving person may hear the wrong tone of voice in their head when they read it.

So before you post something, read it out loud before you post it. See if there is a better way to word it before you post it. To the person reading the post, read it out loud. Don’t hear the words in your head. If you think you’re being attacked, step away and come back later and read it again. We need to take the emotion out of our conversations.

I’m as guilty as the next person when someone responds to me and I infer a tone to the message that was never meant. If you read the words out loud and take the emotion out if it, it works so much better.

DeeCee Salter

You can follow me on Twitter @thecryptoblast
or on Facebook here.

1 comment: