Friday, June 10, 2016

Bigfoot and the Tripwire: Footprints of a Legend (an excerpt) by Russell Victor Acord


There are very few well written bigfoot novels out there that take the creature seriously. Not since Autumn Williams' "Enoch" has there been a realistic story about a bigfoot. Well Author Russell Acord hits a home run with Bigfoot and the Tripwire: Footprints of a Legend where a military vet on a personal journey comes face to face with something that shouldn't be there...

You can purchase "Bigfoot and the Tripwire: Footprints of a Legend" by Russell Victor Acord here.

Also please visit his website: www.russellvictoracord.com

A couple of quiet weeks had passed since my run in with the dirty mountain men, and I must admit; I didn't miss their company one bit. I have been hunting all day with no luck and was heading back to my cabin when I got a most pleasant surprise that would make my life comfortable through the winter. I was less than a mile away from my home when I heard something on the trail running hard, out of breath and moving fast towards me. I quickly stepped off the trail and into the shrubs only seconds before a cow elk came running down the path at full speed and have certainly plowed right over the top of me. Her tongue was hanging out from exhaustion, her neck and back wet with sweat; she had been running long and far enough to wear her down. As she labored passed my hiding spot, I carefully stepped back out on the trail and fired a single round. This was such a lucky gift that had me smiling from ear to ear, setting my winter food at a full supply.

The loan shot rang out loudly and seemed out of place so close to home, but the end result was much needed. The odd part of it was, this was the first time I had fired a shot since I had left civilization. There was a bitter sweet feeling that came with the shot from the weapon; the food it will provide, but the memories brought back the loss of my brother. He would've approved of this cabin, location and conditions of life I had chosen for myself. I thought of Bobby Lee often and his memories carried comfort and joy as a recalled the years of our wild childhood.

It took the entire day, packing meat back-and-forth over the mile of almost level ground. I had really been given a gift from the wilderness after weeks of hunting with no luck. But the heavy for blanket, I should be able to stay much warmer during those upcoming cold winter months in the cabin. I had no more vandalism issues while away from my cabin once I got the roof finished, the doors hung and windows covered up. With my wood piled high, water so close and meet supplies in. I was looking pretty good for the months ahead in seclusion. I spent the next week catching as many fish as I could fit in my pack and brought them back to the cabin for cooking and storage up by the glacier for now.

The glacier proved to be a great place for food storage as I had carved out food and handholds in the thick solid ice Mountain and climbed up about 12 feet. Being high off the ground I had carved out another 2' x 4' wide 'ice box' deep into the frozen mass to protect my food from possible hungry animals.

I packed the fish on the left and elk on the right in some edible leaves and vegetation for migraines fix over the cold months. I have placed a few woven branches into the mouth of my icebox to keep away the birds that my flight close enough to see my food supply; it was a perfect elevated refrigerator. It looked like I had an adequate supply of food and would fuel for about seven or eight months. This should be enough to carry me through, even if I became snowbound and couldn't go anywhere. I had snowshoes to build and plans to use them through the entire winter months for some small game trapping. The plan was to stay active and busy trapping to ward off cabin fever.

I was just coming back over the ridge from stocking the shelves of my natural refrigeration unit when I caught a glimpse of something dark with the red color. It was moving fast through the trees and running away from my cabin. My first thought was the culprit have been ransacking my cabin before I finally got it built; but when I sought clearly moving through a small open area I could hardly believe my eyes.

It looked like a small primate; at that distance it was hard to tell how tall with deep red hair and was running like a person. I had never seen a monkey that rat upright on its legs like a human being. It was thick and heavily muscled and read fast and fluid like an Olympic athlete would sprint towards the finish line. This thing was moving in a very upright fashion, not a typical primitive knuckle using movements with Bentleys, but the same as I would run or walk. It a few seconds that was all I could catch; it moved quickly into the trees and disappeared without a sound.

I walked out to where I knew it had run, looking for tracks and found human footprints that matched the size of my own barefoot track, only a bit wider I have never known of gorillas or apes to be part of the western Montana wildlife; no, this was something that must've escaped from a circus or zoo somewhere. There was an unfamiliar heavy, musky skunk stink that hung in the air that was almost nauseating. I had not spent enough Time in the proximity of monkeys are gorillas to know they're sent, but it was all starting to come together now. That would explain the Erie house I had her previously. I was disturbed by the fact that it ran in an upright position, but even more interesting was that I had seen some of the tracks but on a much larger scale. The possibility of several gorillas in these mountains seemed a bit far-fetched; but I've explained the tracks. I didn't see the creature too well, so my only reasonable explanation was at someone was trying to scare me away from my cabin; that would be the most logical conclusion for the upright running. But why go through all that trouble all the way up here in the middle of nowhere? Standing here questioning the event and doubting myself was starting to give me a headache and I thought it best if I just went back into the cabin and rested for a while.

To read more, you can purchase "Bigfoot and the Tripwire: Footprints of a Legend" by Russell Victor Acord here.

1 comment:

  1. "I had not spent enough Time in the proximity of monkeys are gorillas to know they're sent"....

    REALLY?

    ReplyDelete